Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sharepoint 2010 virtual box

Many of you are aware that microsoft had released a virtualized server with many components (SharePoint 2010, MS Office 2010, SilverLight, Active Directory) all configured nicely (even the AD had 100 test users with complete profiles and photos)

But for a developer like me, i would like to start from a clean server and install all the components one by one.

I am using Sun/Oracle's virtualbox as it allows 32 bit host to have 64 bit guest (free). I have a dreamspark account, which gives me access to a lot of software for free (academic purpose).

To set up your own MOSS 2010,

  1. Prepare virtualbox (create win server 2008 64bit)
  2. Install win 2008 with active directory
  3. Create domain (in MOSS 2010, you can't use a local account as farm administrator anymore)
  4. Install MS SQL 2008 developer 64bit
  5. Patch MS SQL to SP1 and CU2 (cumulative upgrade)
  6. Install MOSS 2010
  7. Go to the familiar looking Configuration wizard
  8. Start having fun with your new MOSS 2010 vm
I will attempt to put my SPListEngine within to speed up development efforts though, will update on my success (if any)

No comments:

Post a Comment