Friday, June 25, 2010

My analogy of a delivery team

I've recently worked under a project manager that don't do his job holistically, i was tasked to deliver 2 assignments but he didn't gave me the resources i need.

List of resources i requested for:
  1. Local intranet account (in order to get internet access)
  2. A machine for me to work on (i had to use my own macbook)
  3. Someone that have complete understanding of the database (since i'm only on a short attachment)
  4. Documentations/specifications (i had to work based on my own analogy)
This dragged on for 4 torturous months, the best thing was, in this 4 months, i only managed to complete (partially) 1 of his task due to all the above reasons. He didn't respond to my desperate pleas (i was dying to finish this assignment so as to move on with another team), he just wanted me to get the things done. Until an indian (no offense) knight, donning a set of bright shining armor came along and did his job for him. He came for barely 3 days and my first assignment was progressing by leaps and bounds, it's near completion, implementation and testing. He set a very defined objective for me to achieve and go all the way out to give me any resource that i require. I had to dedicate this post to him for his professionalism and commitment.

I stayed till almost 10pm tonight (it was a very rare thing for me to do), but i didn't sulk or feel moody over it. He had the charisma which made me willing to stay for his sake and to finish this whole thing and move on with life.

Upon sitting down, this analogy of mine came into my mind:

I can be metaphorically viewed as a Katana, him as a Samurai, my system analysts as a razor (not belittling them)

In a project team, our objective is to slaughter a cow (sorry for hindu folks but i can't think of other animals), for the whole 4 months, my previous PM was asking me to serve the meat to our users, without telling me which cuts they want, how well they want it to be done, and with what sauce. So from day one, i was only able to kill the cow, skin it and thinking of how should i serve the users. When the new PM came in, he told me everything, had all the tools ready. I did my cutting, cooked the beef and is just waiting for the sauce to be ready. (Don't feel hungry yet :))

As the saying goes: a blade is only as strong as its possessor

My job is to cut things up fast and nicely according to your requirements, not to shave the fur or to skin the beast. 

Luckily for me, a skilled wielder came along and we are on track to serve our users with a plate of medium-rare steak with black pepper sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Lol gary so stress for wat relax ah i no u hardworking but dont worry a indian will always come to ur help like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, i can't afford not to be stressed when i'm stuck there for 4 mths

    ReplyDelete
  3. my boss thinks i am katana also. but he got problem with japanese pronunciation he says kanina.

    ReplyDelete