Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Microsoft Sharepoint 2007

What exactly is MOSS designed for? In short ECM or enterprise content management, it was never meant to be a platform or framework for developers to develop on. Sadly, my management and clients perceived MOSS as if it was a new language like C#, java, etc.

They are always asking me, "How come i can do that in .NET and Java, but why not in MOSS?". Well first of all, as i said, it's not Application framework like .NET and Java!!

Users are always comparing MOSS with .NET and Java just because to them, anything that can display pictures, buttons, tables is an app. We can't blame them though, in the eyes of a not-so-technically inclined person, that don't and will not understand the true use of MOSS.

I was being tasked to learn how to develop, administer and set up MOSS. It came as a double edged sword. I got my new job due to my skills and knowledge from there but it also hit me very hard when explaining to stakeholders and analysts.

I'm sometimes tired of people saying, "Why SharePoint list have such lousy performance?? 2,000 items limit and it's so slowwwww". Well, things are different in MOSS 2010, there are better support and scalability which boasts millions of list items and still give acceptable performance.

To quote my previous employer, "We are the Elites of the software development world, we are offered projects mainly because we are able to do things that most people said that it cannot be done!" Well, it's very good on the balance sheet but underlings like me are the ones that are struggling to explore the unchartered terrain. It propelled me into more abstract development designs..

No comments:

Post a Comment